The Carbondale UFO: November 9, 1974
Carbondale Historical Society and Museum, Inc.
Location: One North Main Street, Third Floor, Carbondale, PA 18407
Mailing Address: Post Office Box 151, Carbondale, PA 18407
Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday, noon to 5 P.M.; Saturday by appointment
* * * * *
Matthew Levine - The Carbondale Report:
Friday, November2. 2018
This is Matthew Levine, from The Carbondale Report, here to inform all of you about events and happenings in the Pioneer City. Before I get into that, I would like to share with you an update about our Trick-or-Treating event. We had over 1,500 kids for this event, and sold a lot of candy and other goodies. I had been at the Library, where the staff resorted to giving out pencils when they ran out of candy. Anyway, the Trick-or-Treating event was a huge success. That said, here is a look at some future happenings.
The Taste of the Town will be held on Sunday, November 11th, from 2:00 P.M. to 5:00 P.M., at the Hotel Anthracite & Kol Steakhouse (not to be confused with the Anthracite Centre that Mayor Taylor owns). This is a Chamber-sponsored event, featuring multiple restaurants and live music from Chris Mullineaux! Tickets for this event are $25.00, plus a $1.95 fee. This is the Sixth (6th) annual Taste of the Town. Some of the participants in this year’s event are the Plate d’Azure, Kol Steakhouse, Barbour’s Bakery, The Mustard Seed Café, Carwanna Lunch, Capra Collina Winery, the Chip & Stone - Pub & Eatery, Iron Hart brewing company, Roxane’s Café, Pizza Guys of Carbondale, Weis Markets, Foliage Chinese Restaurant, and The Ice Cream Shoppe. This is not a complete listing; there will be more announced. For any questions, please call Michele Bannon at (570) 351-5607, or John Gorel at (570) 282-1690; also, e-mail John at email@example.com. We hope to see all of you there!
This November, at the Greater Carbondale YMCA, all programs start on the 5th. We have programs such as Nerf Club, Gym and Swim, Holiday Arts and Crafts, and Cardio for Kids. Also, starting Saturday, November 10th, is our Youth Basketball Program for kids ages 3-12.
The previous was a snippet of events that are scheduled for the month of November. Once again, please check out our next column for more exciting events and happenings!
Pennsylvania Coal Company Gravity Railroad
There were two "Gravity" railroads in northeastern Pennsylvania in the nineteenth century: the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company's Gravity Railroad from Carbondale to Honesdale, and the Pennsylvania Coal Company's Gravity Railroad from Pittston to Hawley.
The article given below is about the presentation that Dr. Powell gave on April 22nd at White Mills, PA, on the Pennsylvania Coal Company's Gravity Railroad. This talk, which was very well attended and very well received, was a part of the annual Tom Kennedy Local History Festival.
Genealogical and/or historical research requests must be received by the Historical Society through one of the research request options offered under "Research Services." Genealogical and/or historical research requests that are sent to the Historical Society's email address can not be processed appropriately by the Society.
For general research not related to genealogical items, select Research Option #6.
"City Drinking Fountain, Carbondale, Pa." This drinking fountain for horses was located in the center of the intersection of North Main Street and Lincoln Avenue.
In 1951, the City of Carbondale celebrated the centennial of the incorporation of the City on March 15, 1851 with a week-long celebration, featuring several street parades, all with a wide variety of floats. In the photograph shown here, we see a D&H steam locomotive pulling a Gravity Railroad passenger coach down Main Street.
2018 Historical Society Membership Campaign: To renew your membership in the Society for 2018, click on "Membership" at the head of the webpage. Select the level of membership that you wish to register for, and fill out the membership form there.
To continue to do all that we do for the community, we need the membership support of many people. Please help to continue our work on behalf of Carbondale's past, present and future.
Carbondale Historical Society Members, 2018
1. Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Williams, Carbondale
2. Nancy and John Hollenback, Greenfield Township, PA
3. Hendrick Manufacturing Company, Carbondale
c/o Kathy Saslo
4. Ben Franklin High School Class of 1961 and
Saint Rose High School, Class of 1961
Courtesy of Ronald Konosky
5. Carbondale Chapter of UNICO National
"Service above Self"
c/o Yvonne Gatto
6. Pierre Mancuso, Carbondale
7. Attorney and Mrs. Fred Moase and family, Carbondale
8. Attorney and Mrs. Jeffrey Nepa and family, Carbondale
9. Marie P. Greto, Carbondale
10. Mary C. Zlobl, New Bern, NC
11. Chris Wade and family, Dickson City, PA
12. Marjanie P. Hellman, Carbondale
13. Jeffrey Davis, Naches, WA
14. Nancy Moran, Port Orange, FL
15. Anthony Di Marino, Massapequa Park, NY
16. Edward J. Spall, Manassas, VA Corporate Member
17. Mary Parise Tomaine, Carbondale, and Madison, Alabama
18. Gloria A. Wilson, Waymart, PA
19. Leo B. Burke, Vestal, NY
20. Patti Morrell, Carbondale
21. Ann Marie Pettinato, Carbondale
22. Sean P. McGraw, Esquire, Carbondale
23. Frank Moro, Waymart, PA
24. Thomas and Ellen Farrell, Carbondale
25. Neal and Susan Davis, Carbondale
26. Benjamin Schnessel, Esquire, Carbondale
27. McGovern Insurance Agency, Carbondale
28. John J. Price, Carbondale
29. Dan, Eliza, Sarah, and Anna Totsky, Carbondale
30. John M. Coleman, Esquire, Pasadena, CA
31. Tony Mickloiche, Carbondale
32. Alex Kelly family, Carbondale
33. S. Robert Powell, Carbondale
34. Marie and Charlie Speicher, Carbondale
35. Barbara A. Campbell, Archbald, PA
36. Kevin L. Tomaine, Alexandria, VA
37. Dawn Bentley, Mitchellville, IA
38. John Bifano, Cape Coral, FL
39. John Fagan, San Francisco, CA
40. John Fagan, Greenfield Twp, PA
41. Anne Maleskey Rose, Merritt Island, FL
42. Joan Chellino, Carbondale
43. Mazza Linen, Carbondale
44. Joseph P. C. Surace, MGySgt. USMC (Ret.), Meridian, ID
45. Carl Reichart & Jason Smith, Honesdale, PA
46. Ben Franklin High School, Class of 1951
47. Russell Bonacci, Paoli, PA
(age 90; grew up in Carbondale; visited Historical Society on July 27, 2017)
48. Matthew Levine, Carbondale
49. Jeffrey & Lisa Levine, Carbondale
50. Delores Levine, Carbondale
51. Aaron Levine, Philadelphia, PA
52. Joe Callahan, ND
53. Tony Mickloiche, Carbondale
54. Judy Gretzula, Carbondale