Pennsylvania Coal Company Gravity Railroad
There were two "Gravity" railroads in northeastern Pennsylvania in the nineteenth century: the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company's Gravity Railroad from Carbondale to Honesdale, and the Pennsylvania Coal Company's Gravity Railroad from Pittston to Hawley.
The article given below is about the presentation that Dr. Powell gave on April 22nd at White Mills, PA, on the Pennsylvania Coal Company's Gravity Railroad. This talk, which was very well attended and very well received, was a part of the annual Tom Kennedy Local History Festival.
Genealogical and/or historical research requests must be received by the Historical Society through one of the research request options offered under "Research Services." Genealogical and/or historical research requests that are sent to the Historical Society's email address can not be processed appropriately by the Society.
For general research not related to genealogical items, select Research Option #6.
"City Drinking Fountain, Carbondale, Pa." This drinking fountain for horses was located in the center of the intersection of North Main Street and Lincoln Avenue.
In 1951, the City of Carbondale celebrated the centennial of the incorporation of the City on March 15, 1851 with a week-long celebration, featuring several street parades, all with a wide variety of floats. In the photograph shown here, we see a D&H steam locomotive pulling a Gravity Railroad passenger coach down Main Street.
2017 Historical Society Membership Campaign now underway. To renew your membership in the Society for 2017, click on "Membership" at the head of the webpage. Select the level of membership that you wish to register for, and fill out the membership form there.
To continue to do all that we do for the community, we need the membership support of many people. Please help to continue our work on behalf of Carbondale's past, present and future.
Carbondale Historical Society Members, 2017
1. Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Williams, Carbondale
2. Nancy and John Hollenback, Greenfield Township, PA
3. Hendrick Manufacturing Company, Carbondale
c/o Kathy Saslo
4. Ben Franklin High School Class of 1961 and
Saint Rose High School, Class of 1961
Courtesy of Ronald Konosky
5. Carbondale Chapter of UNICO National
"Service above Self"
c/o Yvonne Gatto
6. Pierre Mancuso, Carbondale
7. Attorney and Mrs. Fred Moase and family, Carbondale
8. Attorney and Mrs. Jeffrey Nepa and family, Carbondale
9. Marie P. Greto, Carbondale
10. Mary C. Zlobl, New Bern, NC
11. Chris Wade and family, Dickson City, PA
12. Marjanie P. Hellman, Carbondale
13. Jeffrey Davis, Naches, WA
14. Nancy Moran, Port Orange, FL
15. Anthony Di Marino, Massapequa Park, NY
16. Edward J. Spall, Manassas, VA Corporate Member
17. Mary Parise Tomaine, Carbondale, and Madison, Alabama
18. Gloria A. Wilson, Waymart, PA
19. Leo B. Burke, Vestal, NY
20. Patti Morrell, Carbondale
21. Ann Marie Pettinato, Carbondale
22. Sean P. McGraw, Esquire, Carbondale
23. Frank Moro, Waymart, PA
24. Thomas and Ellen Farrell, Carbondale
25. Neal and Susan Davis, Carbondale
26. Benjamin Schnessel, Esquire, Carbondale
27. McGovern Insurance Agency, Carbondale
28. John J. Price, Carbondale
29. Dan, Eliza, Sarah, and Anna Totsky, Carbondale
30. John M. Coleman, Esquire, Pasadena, CA
31. Tony Mickloiche, Carbondale
32. Alex Kelly family, Carbondale
33. S. Robert Powell, Carbondale
34. Marie and Charlie Speicher, Carbondale
35. Barbara A. Campbell, Archbald, PA
36. Kevin L. Tomaine, Alexandria, VA